One of the popular pork dishes is goulash. It is especially easy to cook it in a slow cooker, since it is this meat in it that is maximally enriched with spices, becomes softer, tender and juicy. This dish makes a great addition to many side dishes, including pasta, rice or mashed potatoes.
|boneless pork||1000 g|
|onion||2 medium heads|
|garlic||1 large wedge|
|Bay leaf||1 PC.|
|flour||2 tbsp. l.|
|tomato paste or ketchup||2 tbsp. l.|
|sunflower oil||2 tbsp. l.|
|greens (dill, parsley)||optional|
|boiling water||200 ml|
How to choose the right ingredients
In order for pork goulash in a slow cooker to have a richer and more pleasant taste, it is better to use the pulp of this meat without bones and fat, the neck is perfect. In order for the most important ingredient to be of the highest quality, it is necessary to take the choice of meat seriously.
- pork should be soft pink. But in order to be convinced of the freshness of the meat, it is also worth looking at the color of the bones and fat. Fat with a yellow tint indicates that the animal was old, and in this case, the dish will cook much longer. The quality of pork is characterized by a white-pink layer of fat.
- The consistency of the meat must be elastic and relatively dry, in no case slippery or sticky.
- As for the smell, the meat should smell good not only fresh, but also cooked. Checking this is easy enough: ask the butcher for a small piece and set it on fire with matches. You hear a smell reminiscent of a barbecue - take it boldly, it smells unpleasant - refuse this purchase.
Another advice from experts is to give preference to meat from local farms.
Did you know? From a kilogram of fresh pork, 650-670 g of fried meat is obtained.
Pork is a very satisfying and heavy meat, so the side dish must be chosen so that it first of all refreshes and complements the dish. The most popular are:
- a variety of cereals (rice, buckwheat or millet will be a healthy and tasty addition to hearty pork goulash);
- vegetables (poached cabbage, broccoli, zucchini or carrots are a healthy, light and tasty addition to meat).
Pickles are also very popular, including pickled tomatoes and cucumbers, blueberry and zucchini salads or sauerkraut.
- If you want to end up with a dish that isn't oversaturated or heavy, you need to get rid of the unwanted fat.
- Pork goulash becomes saturated if greens are added to it. It is best to use dill or parsley. Moreover, for 1 kg of pork, no more than half a bunch of one kind or another is needed. In the case when it is possible to use dry herbs, you will need only 30 grams.
- In order for the goulash to be thick, you can pre-mix the tomato paste with water, add a little flour and starch to this mixture, then mix thoroughly and add to the meat.
- The water temperature for goulash should be 50 degrees maximum! Together with boiling water you can heat the liquid in the microwave.
- Many factors influence the juiciness of pork. One of them: before placing the meat in a slow cooker, you can fry it in a pan for a couple of minutes, while the fire should be enough strong.
- To make the gravy as rich as possible, the meat should be stirred only after one side is evenly fried. However, it cannot be pierced with a knife or fork. Only in this case, all the juices will remain in it.
- As for the softness of pork, it is recommended to add salt at the end. Did you know? When you salt the meat depends on how soft it will be. Salt added at the beginning makes your dish noticeably tougher.
- White dry or red homemade wine can be used instead of broth, while it will saturate the dish with a unique taste.
- Remember that when choosing a fatter meat, it is better to fry it using vegetable oil. In the case of tenderloin without extra layers, use animal fat.
In the event that you do not like pork or you are allergic to it, you can cook beef goulash with gravy. If you are on a diet or eating right, chicken goulash or turkey goulash is a great option.
If you want to cook beef goulash in a slow cooker, then this recipe will be very useful. It is this dish that is considered traditional in Hungary. To cook beef in a thick-walled dish, you will need the following ingredients: onions, meat marinated in paprika, as well as cumin, broth, potatoes, peppers and tomatoes. The specialty of this recipe are the dumplings.
This version of goulash involves frying pork with onions in olive oil, with the addition of dried mushrooms, tomato paste, seasonings and vegetable broth.
A feature of this version of goulash is the addition of cracklings. The beef is coated with flour, salt/pepper and cumin and left in the cold. After frying the meat on a fairly high heat, 200 ml of white wine and lemon juice are added to the dish if desired.
To prepare this dish, you will need any fish fillet, preferably not bony, which must be cut into pieces and fried along with onions, carrots, tomato paste and flour. Fish goulash can be combined with completely different side dishes.