The national cuisine of various nations is very tasty and unusual. Today we will learn how to cook Avar khinkal.
This is a dish of the Dagestan people, made from meat and dough. It refers to the first courses, that is, it is served with the broth in which the meat was cooked. And the meat is also offered a special sauce, which is prepared either from sour cream or tomatoes. Despite the fact that the name of the dish is consonant with the “khinkali” familiar to us, it does not look like this dish of national Georgian cuisine, has nothing to do with it and is a traditional Dagestan dish.
Avar khinkal is called lush due to the fact that the cakes for it are cooked on kefir, they turn out to be plump and very satisfying. The dish itself will surely appeal to men: it is nutritious, spicy, it contains a lot of meat.
Avar khinkal recipe on kefir
For the broth:
|black peppercorns||10-15 pcs.|
|vegetable oil||20 g|
How to choose the right ingredients
To make a delicious dish, you need to take beef pulp or choose a piece with a small bone. When choosing meat, pay attention to:
- the color should be bright, uniform;
- the smell of meat should not cause discomfort;
- young, high-quality meat has white fat layers.
Khinkal is served with cakes cooked on kefir. To make them fluffy, take the highest grade flour.
Choose large fresh tomatoes for the sauce. The meaty varieties are best. The fruits should be smooth, without spots with a shiny surface, elastic to the touch. Mature fruits have a characteristic smell, especially strong at the stem. If there is no smell, then the tomatoes were picked unripe.
Recipe step by step
Step one: making the broth
Second step: preparing the dough
Step Three: Making the Sauce
The fourth stage: the formation and preparation of cakes
How to serve khinkal
In a large common plate, meat is served, cut into portions. Boiled cakes - in another plate. Sauce is served in separate gravy boats.
Broth is poured into a bowl for each eater and a snack plate is served on which meat, boiled khinkal and sauce are placed. The cake is dipped in sauce, eaten with meat and washed down with broth.
Cooking Tips and Tricks
Avar khinkal is a dish that is prepared in Dagestan both on weekdays and on holidays. Every girl should be able to cook this dish deliciously. There are families in which even today the bride cooks khinkal with her own hands at the wedding to prove her culinary skills.
- To prepare khinkal, you can take not only beef, lamb or pork is also suitable.
- To make the cakes airy, sift the flour before kneading the dough.
- It is necessary that the cakes remain plump even after cooking. To do this, pierce each khinkal with a toothpick immediately after removing it from the broth.
- The Avars say that the finished khinkal bounces on a slotted spoon like a ball.
- It is very important not to overcook the tortillas. This is one of those dishes that the hostess strictly monitors the time when preparing: the average cooking time is 3-4 minutes.
- Khinkal is traditionally served with sour cream sauce, which is very easy to prepare. Sour cream is mixed with chopped garlic. In Dagestan, it is customary to grind garlic in a mortar.
- It is easier to form cakes by rolling the dough with a rolling pin into a large layer. And already cut diamond-shaped khinkals from it.
- For taste, you can add a whole carrot to the broth, onion, parsley and/or celery roots. Cooked vegetables are removed from the finished broth.
- In some families, the broth is served with boiled potatoes.
- Beshbarmak, a Turkic dish similar to khinkal, will delight lovers of meat and homemade noodles.
- If you liked this Dagestan dish, but still decided to explore the national cuisine of Georgia, check out the recipe for khinkali and be sure to cook khinkali in Georgian, and share a photo of your masterpiece with us. This delicious dish will satisfy hunger well and quickly saturate the body with energy.
- Do not pass by the Tatar cuisine. Azu from various types of meat is not only nutritious, but also useful. The traditional beef azu will give you the opportunity to feel the taste of the national Tatar cuisine, the pork azu is tender, but very satisfying, and the turkey azu is suitable as a diet food.